I have to admit Valentine’s Day used to be one of my least favorite holidays. Being single on Valentine’s Day when the world is full of couples, cupids and romantic movies can be a little discouraging if not even downright depressing. I decided a few years ago though that instead of thinking about myself, I would start thinking about others on Valentine’s Day. After all, that’s really what Valentine’s Day is all about – showing love and kindness to the important people in your life!
“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” ~Seneca
Valentine’s Day does not have to be just a boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse. You can show anyone love and kindness by giving them a little gift or on Valentine’s Day, from your mom, grandmother, your children, your sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin, your kid’s teachers, your co-workers, friends, neighbors or even your postal delivery person. Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to pay it forward and be a blessing to others!
This year I am doing goody bags/gift baskets for the residents at our local domestic violence shelter. I know a few other people who are doing handmade cards and gifts for residents at nursing homes, children in our local children’s hospital and patients at our local Veteran’s hospital too. Another group is doing care packages to send to the troops and some for their spouses and kids too. There are lonely, hurting people who need to be shown some love and kindness all around us.
Here are a few simple and affordable gift ideas for special people in your life or just those people you see everyday:
1. A Hallmark card or gift. When I think of Valentine’s Day I immediately think about Hallmark. They have been helping people connect and celebrate occasions and relationships for over 100 years now. I absolutely love to get a card in the mail! It is such a quick and simple way to brighten someone’s day. Even a card given in person with a kind message inside can be the perfect little way to say I love you! Hallmark offers many different Valentine’s Card options now for everyone in your life in their Signature Greetings line. You can choose from cards that come with a fun gift or allow you to add a photograph or record a special message. Hallmark also has a new Blooming Expressions Gift which I just love! It plays beautiful music as the flower “blooms” to reveal a sweet message in the center. They have several designs including one with Snoopy on it! If you don’t have time to shop in a store, you can shop at Hallmark.com and save $3 when you purchase 3 personalized cards using the code VAL3.
2. Home baked treats. A gift from your kitchen is a “sweet” way to show love. From homemade candies, cupcakes, cookies or cakes, there are so many festive Valentine’s Recipes you can make. Check out this homemade Strawberry Bread Recipe and these Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcakes – both are perfect for Valentine’s Day! You could wrap them in pink or red cello and include a sweet handmade gift tag or card.
3. Chocolates – From Heart shaped gift boxes with assorted chocolates to gift baskets full of gourmet chocolates, this traditional gift is great for most everyone in your life, male, female, young or old!
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” – Charles M. Schultz
4. Stuffed Animal. This is another traditional gift, but really I don’t know any kids or adults who wouldn’t be tickled pink to receive a sweet teddy bear or a cute Peanuts® Snoopy like Hallmark offers.
5. Handmade Gift. Just search Pinterest for Handmade Valentine’s Gift Ideas if you need inspiration! From a handmade beaded bracelet to a picture frame decorated with mod podge and scrapbook paper to key chains and soaps, there are all kinds of gifts you can make yourself (or with your kids) to give to special people in your life. PS. Check out my Valentine’s Day Idea Board on Pinterest too!
6. Treat Bag with homemade goodies, candy, personal care items (hand lotion, nail file, bath soap, bath sponge…), or even hot chocolate packets and peppermint sticks! (ps click here to download free “Owl Always Love You” bag topper and tag printable)
“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.”- Lao Tzu
You can also find some other great Valentine’s Day Ideas at the links below:
Valentine’s Day Dinner for Under $20
Frugal and Free Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
Valentine’s Day Sweetheart Trail Mix
Easy to Bake, Almost Sugar Free Heart Cake
I encourage you to start thinking about all the people you can show love to this Valentine’s Day. Be creative and have fun coming up with gifts you can give to everyone. & share the love!
— Misty Kearns (@ceoofmeinc) February 11, 2013
“I received products and/or monetary compensation for this post. Regardless, all thoughts, opinions and pictures are 100% my own unless otherwise stated and were not influenced by the compensation.”